Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pertussis Scare?

It seems the more you try to help your child safe in all aspects of the autism diagnosis, health, education, and community, another situation rears it's ugly head.
This week I got a voice mail from Dallas's school saying that the school was partnering with Linn Co Public Health to provide Tdap booster shots. This did not happen even during last years H1N1 scare tactic. This phone message came on a day where I had had my 3rd meeting this school year for Dallas's educational needs, which are greatly suffering. So, I wasn't really in the mood to listen to how the school district wants to help all our kids. I did call the school and check, and they do have his exemption on file, however, I will be keeping him home from school that day (thanks to Grandma's helping hands) so that no mistakes are made. Sadly many parents will sign the permission slips with no reservations. I used to be that mom, and now my son is paying for it. Have any other middle schools partnered with Linn Co Public Health to provide these same services? I would love to hear how other parents are handling this.
I also feel that schools really have no business getting involved with medicine. At least until they can adequately accommodate a child's educational needs.
Thanks for letting me vent! Feel free to write me and let me know what is going on in your child's school. All board members, and other warrior parents in our chapter are available to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment